Interview with Karen Dowers
Author of Netherworld Rescue: Arabella and Durango Cowboys' Quest For Justice
Buy this book
How would you describe NETHERWORLD RESCUE to a new reader?
- Netherworld Rescue is a fantasy adventure story that takes place in a parallel Earth World. The setting is reminiscent of the 70s era in a small, Colorado town called Durango. Because there is a merging of several dimensions, this world is different. Animals talk and are no longer slaughtered (who could eat the meat of an animal that speaks to you?). If people still desire the taste of meat products, replicator machines duplicate any food, including meat. Living spacecraft cruise the skies, and the Durango/Silverton train flies, and free energy use is for power. The animals, especially the babies, are silly, and add humor and warmth to the story. Netherworld Rescue has a lot of action, romance, and fun characters, including our mischievous 5th dimension butterfly fairy, Arabella.
What was the inspiration behind NETHERWORLD RESCUE?
- I wanted to create a world that I would love to live in — especially having talking animals not used as a food source, free energy for power, and lots of magic going on everywhere!
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I love everything about Charles Dickens. He'll never go out of style. He's top-notch, and if I had a choice to write like any author, it would be him. There are a lot of authors I could mention, but for entertainment, I liked Mark Twains books as a child, and they still bring back fond memories like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. His stories always make me laugh.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in the book?
- The setting for NETHERWORLD RESCUE takes place in the quaint, western town of Durango, CO. I live near Durango. Because of its western history, I chose this town for my western extravaganza to take place, even though in my story, it all happens in a parallel Earth world.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- All I can say to new authors is to prepare yourself for a considerable learning curve. Being an author involves way more than just writing. You have to learn how to get your book out there once you write a manuscript, and that is a whole different ballgame:)
Words of advice? Even though I'm still green around the collar, pearly words of wisdom, I can offer you is to have a lot of patience, perseverance, and practice excellent organization skills.
Choosing self-publishing or going with a publisher is a personal choice. But either way, there is still a lot to learn.
What's your writing process?
- 1) Wake up early (5:00 am)
2) Feed my hungry kitties
3) Greet my hubby (he gets up at 4:30 am ugh!)
4) Make myself a cup of tea or coffee
3) Go to office
4) Sit down
5) Stretch my arms toward the sky and mumble a positive affirmation.
6) Yawn loudly
7) Turn my computer on
8) Start typing madly away!
Which character in NETHERWORLD RESCUE has had the greatest impact on readers?
- I will say, the mischievious 5th dimension butterfly fairy, Arabella. She has a lot to learn from her Earth friends. And, even though she slips up sometimes with pranks she can't help herself from doing, overall, Arabella proves to have what it takes to be a caring, kind, courageous, and loyal friend to those she cares about deeply.
If NETHERWORLD RESCUE were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I visualize Zooey Deschanel playing the lead part as Arabella. When I created Arabella, there were two people I thought would fit the role. One was Zooey, and the other actress was Jessica Alba.
How have readers responded to NETHERWORLD RESCUE?
- The book is new, so I haven't had too many responses as far as the title. However, I am getting some positive feedback on my book cover.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I'm working on book 3 in my Dimensional Adventures With Arabella Trilogy Series. I'm also working on another book adventure for a kid's gross-out category under my pen name, K. D. West.
NETHERWORLD RESCUE is book 2 in the Dimensional Adventures With Arabella Trilogy Series:
A year has passed, and the time has finally come for Sophia Petros and Arabella, her naughty best friend who is a beautiful, 5th Dimension butterfly fairy, to go on an ‘out of this world’ adventure together! Sophia was left behind while her sister, Shelby, went on the first adventure with Arabella. Now, Sophia is allowed to go on one of her own, and the girls travel to a parallel Earth reminiscent of the 1970s of Sophia’s world. In a quaint western town called Durango, Colorado, Sophia and Arabella befriend a group of ranch cowboys, including Colton – with whom Sophia feels an immediate connection. Arabella and Sophia soon discover just how this world differs from Sophia’s – animals talk, a train flies, and living spacecraft cruise the skies.
Meanwhile, near Durango, a portal opens at the legendary Chimney Rock, and something strange comes through the opening. A hungry, injured, anxious creature makes his way through the portal and flees towards Durango. Netherworld Overlords, on the other side of the portal entrance, dwell in the Underworld. When they discover this creature is missing, they enlist a galactic bounty hunter to find who they call a berserker and bring it back.
The situation becomes more complicated when these Overlords discover that a magic warrior helmet – a possession of the war god, Mardukus – has disappeared at the same time!
Can Arabella, Sophia, and their new cowboy friends turn a bleak situation into something positive with their compassion and kindness? What is the mysterious connection that the Berserker unknowingly has with the magical warrior helmet, and the reason these Netherworld deities are so desperate to get them both back? And can Arabella rescue the Berserker from the Netherworld and return to Sophia?
Even with strange things happening in this world, love still flows through the air. Three romances bloom in this story (one is a surprise). Check out hunky, cowboy, Tyler and cutie pie, Colton. Read more, here: https://www.adventureswitharabella.com/ebook/#NETHERWORLD-RESCUE