Interview with Simon carr
Author of The super nice monster squad
satirical science fiction writer from Blackburn in the north of England.
Buy this book
How would you describe the super nice monster squad to a new reader?
- It's sort of hotel transylvania for grown ups, lots of bad language and silliness.
What was the inspiration behind the super nice monster squad ?
- The whole twilight thing, really, books on young good looking vampires and werewolves, I thought to myself, i wonder what the old ugly nasty monsters think about all this.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Douglas Adams is my favourite, I take a lot of inspiration from Douglas Adams.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- It's set mainly in California, there are visits to other spooky places in eastern Europe, and a quick visit to monster island.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- To just keep writing, dont get caught up in sales figures or rankings, just keep writing for yourself, if you like it other people will too.
What's your writing process?
- Note pad so I dont forget anyones name, then just whack on.
Which character in the super nice monster squad has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Druckula, hes my favourite too, hes like a grumpy middle aged man, irritated by everything.
If the super nice monster squad were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Well the leads are all very young and I dont know many, any, young actors, but Druckula, I had steve Carell in my head, while writing him.
How have readers responded to the super nice monster squad?
- Very well, it's very similar to my other books, so they sort of knew what to expect.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- That's very interesting,I'm writing a book called, spice, zombie,apocalypse, its my first book that's not a satirical spoof,to give you an idea of what it's like, the inspirations behind it are, trainspotting, 28 days later, shawn of the dead, resident evil.
It's nearly finished, I'm a little nervous about it as I've never published anything like this before, I do really like it though so hope my readers do too.