Interview with Charles Massie
Author of Passionate Oversights
Charles Massie, the oldest of four children, grew up in Syracuse,
New York. After finishing high school, he enlisted in the United
States Navy and served a total of six years at various ports around
the world. Returning to civilian life, he continued his education at
Syracuse University. Upon graduation, he worked for a number of
engineering firms before finding his calling in the sales field.
Being an entrepreneur, he has been instrumental in overseeing such
companies as Massie Engineering Associates, InfoTech Consulting,
LLC, and CaterCats Catering. Creative expression has always been in
the background of his life and over the years, he has submitted
articles and stories to Twilight Zone Magazine, Readers Digest,
Analog Publications and others.
His hobbies include progressive rock music, computers and other
toys, traveling and enjoying the gifts that he has been blessed with.
He loves animals, humor, exotic cars and practicing random acts of
He lives in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and New York State and
maintains his website at: www.charlesWmassie.com
Buy this book
How would you describe 'Passionate Oversights' to a new reader?
- This is a true story of romance, seduction, abuse and finally redemption. The central characters encounter each other through Craigslist. After many phone and email conversations, they decide to meet face-to-face. It is only after the man moves in with his new lover that he discovers her deadly secret. She is a Black Widow woman in disguise.
What was the inspiration behind 'Passionate Oversights' ?
- It is a true story because I personally lived through all of the events in the book.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- John Grisham, Patricia Cromwell, Robert R. McGammon, Emily King and David Grann. I read many different genre, from Sci-Fi to True Crime. Most books about domestic abuse are written from a female point of view. Passionate Oversights is written from a male point of view.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- Syracuse, New York, Burkesville, Kentucky and a variety of small towns throught Kentucky.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- Just put your hands on the keyboard and write. You need to start. Everything else can be edited, enhanced, defined and explained at a later date. But you must start writing. I like self publishing because it affords me the opportunity to write when I want and about what I want. I am not under any preordained schedule or genre'.
What's your writing process?
- Once I have an idea for a book, I put together a sort of rough roadmap of how I think it will develop. I do a lot of word-associations in order to hone the story to where I think it will go. I don't always write chapters in order, because some days I feel angry, some days I feel loving; etc. But I do try to write every day. Some days its 1/2 of a chapter and some days it is 3 or 4 chapters. Like I said previously, editing toward the final product comes later.
Which character in Passionate Oversights has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Most readers feel that Charlie is somewhat naive and too trusting and that Patriche is a natural evil person who has learned how to hide her motivations.
If Passionate Oversights were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Female Lead: Reba Mcentire
Male Lead: Eddie Redmayne
How have readers responded to Passionate Oversights?
- Overwhelming 4 and 5 star ratings
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I am currently working on the sequel to Passionate Oversights titled 'Pretty Little Patriche'. The story of how an innocent little girl became a deadly 'Black Widow'.
This is a true story of seduction and corruption. All the events occurred in the town of Burkesville, a small farming community in South Central Kentucky.
Charlie Mason is a happy, retired gentleman living in Syracuse, New York; one of the snowiest parts of the nation. He yearns to move to a warmer climate such as Tennessee or Georgia. A romantic relationship in his life would be nice also since he has been alone for a long time.
He meets a woman on the social media platform Craig's list, who appears to be everything he desires. She is a beautiful redhead; a business owner who is smart, funny and vibrant. She owns a horse farm and is part owner of a construction company. Her name is Patricia but most people call her Patriche.
After many email and phone conversations, she invites him to visit her at her home in Kentucky.He takes a chance and travels by bus to her location. Their first meeting is absolutely magic. Charlie has always had a penchant for redheads and Patriche is gorgeous. Overall, Charlie is impressed by her industrious nature.
They seem to have so many things in common, including the fact that she is originally from upstate New York. Charlie believes he may have met his soul-mate. Their days are filled with love and laughter as Patriche shows Charlie the beauty of the Kentucky landscape as well as the local sites.
But the real fireworks happen in the bedroom. Even though neither of them are 'spring chickens', their sexual responses to each other can rival couples half their age.
Charlie and Patriche decide to travel to upstate New York in order to pick up their various possessions, visit friends and return to Kentucky to begin a new life together.
Their is only one problem. This lady is a deadly Black Widow in disguise.
Through their nightly conversations, Patriche discloses several events of her past that shock Charlie. She was responsible for the death of her oldest daughter, she is estranged from her children, she had her ex-husband deported to Canada, and her last lover put a shotgun in his mouth and blew his brains out.
The story now becomes a painful voyage into perdition. Suffering at the hands of a sadistic lover is only the beginning. Patriche has Charlie arrested for a heinous crime for which he is innocent. While he is incarcerated, Patriche takes her possessions, as well as Charlie's, and moves back to upstate New York.
Charlie is convicted and sentenced to a 5 year term in Federal prison. Physical and emotional abuse from a corrupt judicial system could possibly lead to his death. In the face of overwhelming odds, Charlie fights to save his life, his honor, and his sanity. Throughout this journey, the reader will come to see how one man used every single ounce of his being to survive.
Passionate Oversights offers a glimpse of domestic abuse from the male point of view and is a 'must read' for anyone considering an Internet-Based relationship.