Interview with Crystal Reavis
Author of Areal
Crystal Reavis is an American author who lives in Colorado with her husband and three children. She is currently writing her first series "The Awakening". The first book Areal is available on her publisher's website and Amazon. She is debuting a new cover soon!
Buy this book
How would you describe Areal to a new reader?
- It's a book about angels and demons but most importantly it's about finding out who you really are. My main character isn't an ordinary angel. Without giving away too much she experiences a very human-like life. I am having the cover redone. The one you see pictured will be going live very, very soon!
What was the inspiration behind Areal ?
- Honestly, when I wrote the book I didn't know what I wanted to title it. I wasn't sure I wanted to title it after the main character. The more I thought, however, the more I knew it needed to be. The book is about Areal, who she is and who she becomes. It made total sense to title it after her.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I would have to say, Stephen King and Terry Goodkind. Stephen King is such an amazing storyteller and draws you in, Terry Goodkind is one of my favorites because I love the way he builds his world and his characters seem so real to me. My husband and I even named our daughter after the main female character in his "Sword of Truth" series. I wouldn't say they influenced my writing style but I do love listening to any and all advice they give.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in the book?
- My book is more focused on the characters and not the setting. I do mention one of them is from NC but I believe that's the only location I mention.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- I would say just start writing! I know a lot of people say that but it's true. You won't get anywhere unless you start! As for publishing always do your research. Look at the pros and cons of both traditional publishings versus self-publishing. Weigh the costs and the work involved. Talk to other writers and get their take, research many publishers before making a desicion. After you think you've learned what you need to know that's when you make a decision on how to publish.
What's your writing process?
- I am a mix between a planner and panster although I lean more toward panster. There are times I will plan every little detail but most of the time I just sit down and write. What I want to get across just seems to come to me.
Which character in Areal has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Funnily enough, it is a side character named Dimitri. He was supposed to be just a supporting character but quickly became mine and my reader's favorite. So much so that his backstory is what the second book is about. His journey to how he came to know Areal.
If Areal were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Oh gosh, I have thought about this a lot. I picture her looking a lot like Katie Perry I would say. Could I get Katy Perry to play her because that's who I'd choose lol.
How have readers responded to Areal?
- So far I have only gotten positive feedback about Areal. That has made me really excited! They tell me how much they l love the characters and story. They also say they can't wait for the next one.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I am working on finishing the editing of the second book. I only have one round left and I will be able to publish it! I'm thinking it will be done and ready to publish my mid-year.
Angela Asher lives a relatively normal life—work, friends, a devoted mother, the whole works. One day she receives a phone call from a mystery man who tells her she’s being watched and to be careful. Worried at first, Angela decides he must be crazy and ignores it. That is, until strange things begin happening: dreams of people with black eyes, an urge to enter churches, and meeting strange people she feels oddly connected to. As she tries to figure it all out, she learns of another world; a world of angels and demons, a world she is a large part of.
The demons want the earth for their own and will stop at nothing to get it. Will Angela learn what her role is in this crazy new world? Will she be strong enough to save everyone? The world is relying on her, but she isn’t sure she can live up to the expectations placed upon her shoulders.