Interview with Eric Butler
Author of The Sins of the Past
I love horror, science fiction, action-adventure, mysteries, and historical fiction. My first novel, The Shadow Within is a horror based romance. You can find more of my work at EricButlerAuthor.com where I will soon have a Victorian supernatural mystery serial.
Buy this book
How would you describe The Sins of the Past to a new reader?
- It's a supernatural Victorian horror...kind of Cthuhlu and Sherlock Holmes mashed up. It has mystery, suspense, the supernatural, action, and horror throughout with memorable and well thought out characters.
What was the inspiration behind The Sins of the Past?
- It began as a short story. The publication was looking for Victorian divination. As I wrote the first chapter, I realized Ephraim Godwin wasn't looking to be featured in a few thousand words. His story needed to be expanded, and The Sins of the Past is the beginning.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I'm a big fan of Robert Jordan, Richard Laymon, C.S. Harris, Doyle, and Poe. Mostly they give me something to strive towards in my storytelling.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- This book takes place on both the physical and spiritual planes of existence. You will visit 19th century England and parts of the story takes place in Africa.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- You need to write and write, and write some more. Also read, not just what genre you write in, but a wide selection so you can experience different styles and approaches.
What's your writing process?
- Try to write every day. I put aside a few hours every couple of days for editing. If I'm not writing specifically for something, I use the downtime to work on anthology pieces or to research future stories.
Which character in The Sins of the Past has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Many people gravitate towards Zona Whitlock as she teams up with Ephraim Godwin to search for a way to save the world from the dark god, Ojo'out.
If The Sins of the Past were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I think Tom Cullen would be great as Ephraim Godwin. Add in Karen Gillan as Zona Whitlock and Jim Carter as Doctor Livingstone and the cast would be spot on.
How have readers responded to The Sins of the Past?
- I've received a ton of positive feedback. The readers enjoy the amount of detail throughout the book. They love the characters and the spot of trouble I've put them in.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- The next installment of the Ephraim Godwin Chronicles, some short stories and anthology pieces, and a stand-alone splatterpunk novel.
Once an ancient race of supreme beings ruled over the earth. Banished by the light centuries ago, one has returned. With the help of its disciples, it desires to plunge the world into a new age of darkness and horror.
Ephraim Godwin is searching for the truth about his family's disappearance. After conventional ways failed, he turned to the world of spiritualism, only to discover it filled with charlatans and tricksters. As a known skeptic, Ephraim fights to shine a light on those who prey upon others as he searches for the truth.
As Ephraim attends another séance, he discovers not everyone is a fraud and is drawn deeper into the world of the supernatural. With the help of noted spiritualist Zona Whitlock and famed explorer Doctor Livingstone, he hopes to stop this evil from consuming the world.