Interview with Gillian Godden
Author of DANGEROUS GAMES
Gillian Godden Author of Gangland Books."I have always loved reading. On my weekly visit to my local library, where they hold a book club they were advertising a competition to write your own story. Any story, using any genre. The prize would be a weekend trip on the P&O ferry to Amsterdam or fifty pounds. I wrote Francesca. Sitting with my friend Toni one night and drinking a cheap bottle of Lambrini wine I had my name for my character: Tony Lambrianu. I submitted my story to the competition- and did not win. However, a couple of my friends at the NHS, and my neighbours had read it and encouraged me to carry on and see were it led. I got involved with a vanity publisher and was taken for a ride! They hadn't edited it properly and my name was barely seen. To rectify it was going to cost me money I didn't have so I published bits of the book in book groups on social media and was amazed by the response. I'd thought the manuscript was going to sit on my computer forever and no one would read it, but the majority of people responded well and so I self-published.
"Readers were interested in my main character: Tony, the glamorous gangland boss. Some fell in love with him. But they wanted to know his background and how he had become the man he was. I had originally written another story Antonius, which was never going to see daylight. I split it in half as it was a long story and they became Francesca and Dangerous Games: the prequel depicting Tony's childhood up to when Tony meets Francesca one steamy night at a Christmas party, which became Nasty Business.
"I work as a doctors receptionist at the local health centre, close to where I live. I've experienced a lot of support in the writing community and have seen my titles flourish under the microscope that is Amazon. The only part of writing I find difficult is the promotion. Bloggers help authors to market, advertise, and publicise our wares, but I'd far rather be writing them.
"I live in Yorkshire with my dog Susie. Walking her around the park after ten-hour shifts clears my head and allows me to plot ideas. The best murderous plans come to me this way. My son, Robert, lives in London. I'd love to move back there someday.why not follow my websitehttps://www.facebook.com/francescaseries/
Buy this book
How would you describe Dangerous Games to a new reader?
- Dangerous Games shows the very humble beginnings of notorious, playboy gangland boss and why his determination and complex character drives him on. living in cardboard city. desserted by his mother and fighting his way up in the East End of London protection rackets to survive. He plays many dangerous games along the way.
What was the inspiration behind DANGEROUS GAMES ?
- My inspiration came from meeting and seeing so many characters when i lived in the East End of London. Gangland still goes on in some ways. My gangland boss Tony has an inner strength to survive. after all he has nothing to lose. all he can do now is better himself and become the best there is. striving to build and empire like so many gangland bosses of the past.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Of course i would say. Martina Cole, the queen of gangland and Lynda La Plante. but i also love the classics. i also read a lot o dystopian
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- My books are mainly located in East End London . famous or it's gangland reputation. i also mingle mine with Italy and the Italian mafia. Tony is a blonde italian living in london. many locations people will recognise in my books.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- Stay away from Vanity publishers. Get yourself a good editor. they can see things that you have missed and turn your manuscript into a book.
What's your writing process?
- I always start my books the old fashioned way and write them on a note pad with a pen. after a while i write on computer.
Which character in DANGEROUS GAMEShas had the greatest impact on readers?
- Tony Lambrianu. The ladies love a loveable rogue and the men admire him for his playboy ways and sense of humour.
If DANGEROUS GAMES were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Sounds silly but a tall blonde with blue eyes. masculine but very handsome. Chris Hemsworth.
How have readers responded to DANGEROUS GAMES
- Excellent. it has had over a hundred 5 star reviews and they are on going.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- GOLD. one of the characters in my book is called Julie Gold. the public love her sense of humour and she is famous for her one liners. i have decided to give the readers what they ask for and write her story.
Annette Lambrianu is young, blonde, beautiful and bored. Life on the family vineyard with her husband and young son, Antonias, is not what she had expected. Yearning for excitement, she flees to London with her lover and the boy, only to find out the streets are not paved with gold.
Since being taken from his home by his mother in the middle of the night, fighting for survival is all Antonias Lambrianu has ever known. He soon learns that money is power and sets his sights on what he sees as a better future. When his past finally catches up with him, it unexpectedly opens up new opportunities, but new threats come hand-in-hand with them.
Antonias is determined that he will emerge triumphant, but there’s jeopardy everywhere and the stakes are high. Everyone, it seems, is playing dangerous games … Antonias most of all.
This is a tale of selfishness, cruelty, love and betrayal. But who will be the ultimate winner?