Interview with A. Nation
Author of The Takers: From the Dark of Night - Saga 8
I'm retired and writing as much as I can. I have 15 novels and a few novellas published. My genres are science fiction, urban fantasy, and travel mysteries
Buy this book
How would you describe <The Takers> to a new reader?
- This is the 4th book in the Blackhawk Files, 8th in the Domino Sagas. It's a police story set in the 25th century and detailed with Martian landscapes. This story is about survival and friendship.
What was the inspiration behind <The Takers> ?
- I'm concerned with the amount of homeless on our streets and what corrupt politicians are capable of doing. This was just another crime story for my character and how he handles it.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Agatha Christie, Tim Stout, Diane Mott Davidson, Isaac Asimov
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- The book begins on Earth in Arizona. Later, after Alex is kidnapped, we go to Mars.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Read as much as you can and if you write anything, don't throw it away
What's your writing process?
- After breakfast in the morning, have lunch, then write until 5:00PM. i'm always thinking about the next scene or doing promos for my other books while watching crime shows in the evening.
Which character in <The Takers> has had the greatest impact on readers?
- I would say, Alex's wife, Jan. She doesn't wait for word from Mars. She goes to Washington D.C., then on a ship to the red planet. There she teams up with Aliex's friend to find her husband.
If The Takers: From the Dark of Night - Saga 8 were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Someone young, blond, energetic
How have readers responded to <The Takers>?
- packed with adventure
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I just finished Eye of the Throne, a YA epic. Next I'll be working on another UF story
When a man is discovered dead on a returning cargo ship from Mars, Detective Alex Blackhawk decides to go undercover. Before he knows it, he is kidnapped to Mars. Alex's wife heads for Mars after overhearing an incriminating conversation. Now, held prisoner in a crater mine, he has to find a way out.