Interview with Simon carr
Author of Spice, zombie, apocalypse
satirical science fiction writer from Blackburn in the north of England.
Buy this book
How would you describe space, zombie,apocalypse to a new reader?
- Trainspotting meets shawn of the dead, theres lots of drugs booze and zombie stuff.
What was the inspiration behind spice,zombie,apocalypse?
- I have wanted to write a horror for a long time, I usually stick to satirical sci-fi, I wanted to extend my range, I live in Blackburn in the uk, we have a big problem with spice here, our town is littered with spice zombies, I thought wouldn't it be ironic if there was a apocalypse, and the only people who survived it were the spice zombies, so it started on that idea.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams, but to be honest I dont read much at all, I have dyslexia, reading and taking what I read in, is very difficult for me.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- I invented a few imaginary northern England towns, but their basically all Blackburn and surrounding areas, a lot of the book is focused around a canal, my favourite place in the universe is the Leeds and liverpool canal that runs through Blackburn.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Write for yourself,you need to enjoy the story before anyone else can.
What's your writing process?
- Just grab a notepad to write down names and locations and whack on, I write down the rough outline of the plot, then completely ignore it and write what comes as it comes.
Which character in spice,zombie, apocalypse has had the greatest impact on readers?
- I think it has to be the main character, Larry, all the main characters have a redemption moment but his are at the forefront of the story.
If spice,zombie,apocalypse were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I think Jonny vagas would be great as Larry, Ewing McGregor as Roland, Jimmy nail as Max and Sarah Lancaster as Jenny.
How have readers responded to space,zombie, apocalypse?
- A bit surprised, they are used to satirical spoofs from me, I've never written action or horror before but they love it, so much I'm thinking of making this style of storytelling my main one.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I am taking a bit of a break, two books in a month was a bit draining, but I think my next one will be sci-fi horror, with my customary lashings of comedy.