Interview with A. Nation
Author of The Magic Within
I'm retired and writing as much as I can. I have 16 novels and a few novellas published. My genres are science fiction, urban fantasy, and travel mysteries
Buy this book
How would you describe <The Magic Within> to a new reader?
- This is the fifth novel in my UF series. After all my character has been through, she finally sees happiness in her future. She encounters the same disruptions from her friends as she fights to save her boyfriend's daughter from kidnappers.
What was the inspiration behind <The Magic Within> ?
- After what happened in the fourth book of this series. I wanted to give my character a chance at happiness
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Agatha Christie, Isaac Asimov, Diane Mott Davidson
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- It starts in a little town not far from where I live in Idaho. The next location is near Grand Junction, Colorado with a few scene changes.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Read as much as you can, watch shows pertaining to your genre, and join a good writing group that will help you.
What's your writing process?
- First I think of the main scenes in my head for about a month, then I write most of the day with meal breaks. I stop at 4:00pm. The evening is my relax time. Maybe to watch a few Forensic Files show.
Which character in <The Magic Within> has had the greatest impact on readers?
- I would say Susan Edwards. She's skittish about forming new relationships and doesn't want to deal with life drama. But when times get hard, she dives right in to save the day.
If <The Magic Within> were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- a blond stout woman trying to lose weight but can't.
How have readers responded to <The Magic Within>?
- Right now it's on preorder, so I haven't had much response. But my editors loved it.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I just created a novella of ghost stories just in time for Halloween. I'm also getting ready for nanowrimo and will start my next sci-fi in my Domino Series. I can't wait to see what my characters do next.
Amid Susan's fantasy friend's distractions she's determined to visit her boyfriend's family in Colorado.
Once she arrives, his daughter refuses to accept her. When the young girl turns up missing, someone wants ransom money. As a favor to a friend, she visits an old bookstore, with more mysteries than she bargained for with a surprise or two.