Interview with Simon carr
Author of the documented doings of Rick toenail space sheriff and Princess power
satirical science fiction writer from Blackburn in the north of England.
Buy this book
How would you describe the documented doings of Rick toenail space sheriff and Princess power to a new reader?
- a satirical farce set in a bizare universe.
What was the inspiration behind the documented doings of Rick toenail space sheriff and Princess power?
- Rick Toenail is the first character I ever created when I was just a kid nearly 40 years ago, Back then he was like a combination of Indiana Jones and George of the jungle, I had to change him slightly to fit into my sci-fi universe but he is most definitely still the Rick I dreamed up scribbling in my book at school when I should have been doing math.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- sadly my dyslexia stops me from reading books, my inspiration comes mainly from comedy and sci-fi tv and film, red dwarf, hitchhiker's guild to the galaxy, Monty python.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in the book?
- a lot of it is set on the Nylan moon that Rick grew up on, he was brought up by the Nylan monks who taught him their ways and secret powers.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- just keep writing no matter what the best way to promote a book is to write another one.
What's your writing process?
- exactly the same as when I dreamed up Rick as a child just daydreams, the only difference is now I write them down.
Which character in the documented doings of Rick toenail space sheriff and Princess power has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Princess Power is the one everyone seems to gravitate towards, she goes on the biggest journey in the book and ends it a completely different person than from when it starts.
If the documented doings of Rick toenail space sheriff and Princess power were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Rick has always been Rick inside my head but I think Ryan Renalds could pull him off with Rebel Wilson as Princess Power.
How have readers responded to the documented doings of Rick toenail space sheriff and Princess power
- well the main job is they found it funny, they did seem to like the battle scenes too and the Nylan monk elders went down very well.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I am finishing Space and Stuff 3, Rick is set in the space and stuff universe and features in Space and stuff 3, once that's finished I will start a new project away from the Space and stuff universe.
war is brewing and the galaxy's only space sheriff with his robot companion will not be enough to contain it, an awesome hero saving the day with dumb luck and unlikely coincidences can only get you so far, when epic battles loom epic friends are required.