Interview with Simon carr
Author of Space and Stuff 2
satirical science fiction writer from Blackburn in the north of England.
Buy this book
How would you describe Space and Stuff 2 to a new reader?
- a satirical romp fast-paced silly and full of profanity.
What was the inspiration behind Space and Stuff 2 ?
- I wanted to inject an oversized ridiculous amount of sci-fi into the Space and Stuff universe, practically any sci-fi film you got on video from the boot of someone's car in the 1980s makes an appearance at some point.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I have Dyslexia so don't read books as I cant, my influences all come from comedy and sci-fi film and tv, hitchhikers guild to the Galaxy, red dwarf, Monty python.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in the book?
- there are a lot of different locations from here on earth right now to an alternate universe in the future and even some places that don't exist at all anywhere.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- keep writing for yourself if you like it people who think as you will also like it. don't worry about sales there's a lot of very good books out there that have only sold a handful of copies just keep writing and hoping.
What's your writing process?
- I will walk around in a daydream most of the day then write down the best ones at night.
Which character in Space and Stuff 2 has had the greatest impact on readers?
- from the feedback, I have had Captin Claire seems to be the Favorite she has lots of very funny parts and does not behave in the way you would expect, I make no allowances for her gender I don't like stereotypes so I have her doing funny things, not things that are funny for women characters.
If Space and Stuff 2 were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I would love to see Miranda Hart as Captin Claire and Steven Fry as Brian.
How have readers responded to Space and Stuff 2
- the reaction has been fantastic they all seem to find it even funnier than the first one and love all the sci-fi references.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I am halfway through Space and Stuff 3 once that is finished that's an end to the Space and stuff sagas and i will start something new.