Interview with James Devine
Author of Face To Face With Polyphemus
My name is James Devine. I am the author of 3 books called Face To Face With Polyphemus, The Forgotten God and The Forgotten God II: Quest For Vengeance. I try to write everyday, it is hard sometimes as I have a full-time Job. I have a Facebook pages called James Devine - Author where i post helpful tips for young and upcoming authors.
Buy this book
How would you describe Face With Face With Polyphemus to a new reader?
- Face To Face With Polyphemus is an action/adventure novel that all fans of the genre will enjoy. Creatures that most people would have never heard of are included in this enjoyable novel. It follows two brothers whose parents were killed by a savage beast. They seek revenge and to do that they must travel a long distance to find the home of the monster. They encounter a variety of strange mythological creatures that they must defeat to get closer to their end goal. It will be impossible to put down and you will want to reach the ending.
What was the inspiration behind Face To Face With Polyphemus?
- I had a friend in high school that wrote short stories, and I thought, this looks like fun. I also played a computer game that had a monster that was powerful and destructive. That game also had numerous Mythological creatures and gods which gave me the inspiration to write this book.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I enjoyed the Deltora Quest books by Emily Rhoda and Jules Verne's Journey to the centre of the earth. The way that they made it as though you were there in the story made me want to write the same way. I want the readers to feel as though you are alongside the main characters.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in the book?
- The locations at times are dark, cold and terrifying as they face scary beasts. Other times it is peaceful and relaxing as they soak in the area. It's a mixture of all.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- My advice is to write in a genre that you enjoy most and to not listen to the negative comments from people that say that your book will never be published. Use that negativity to drive you to get your book published.
What's your writing process?
- My writing process is to hand write it out first in a note book and then type it on the computer. I research certain aspects of places or creatures so that I can get the description correct.
Which character in Face to Face with Polyphemus has had the greatest impact on readers?
- They have both had equal impacts to the readers.
If Face To Face With Polyphemus were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role?
- An up and coming young star who had already done a couple of films. Hopefully I could get the chance to play the other character because I think it would be alot of fun.
How have readers responded to Face To Face With Polyphemus?
- I have heard nothing but positive reviews about my book. They have enjoyed it and are wanting to read my next book.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- Next is a completely new book. Face To Face With Polyphemus is a stand alone book, there will be no sequel.
I am working on a new book called The Forgotten God. It is the first book in a series full of action, adventure and surprise endings that a fan of the genre will definitely want to read.
This novel follows the journey of two brothers named Alastor and Dimitris as they seek revenge on the beast that killed their parents. They will travel far and face dangerous creatures along the way. Readers will want to reach the conclusion of this quest.