Interview with Simon carr
Author of pie-eyed
satirical science fiction writer from Blackburn in the north of England.
Buy this book
How would you describe Pie-Eyed to a new reader?
- a satirical sci-fi romp set in a pub lock-in.
What was the inspiration behind Pie-Eyed ?
- I used to run pubs and some of the funniest things I have ever seen or heard all happened during lock-ins.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I don't read books I am high-end dyslexic I just can't, so my influences all come from comedy and sci-fi tv and film, red dwarf, Monty python, hitchhikers guild to the galaxy.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in the book?
- it is set mainly in a pub in the north of England called the bulls head, the pub used to be a town hall that first contact with an alien sales rep took place many years ago but tragedy befell the people at the meeting, so the current inhabitants had no clue the sales rep had organized a callback.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- just keep writing and flood your market place with your books until they get noticed.
What's your writing process?
- daydream, green tea, write, repeat.
Which character in Pie-Eyed has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Jaydon seems to be the one people warm to the most to be fair he does have a time of it and more seems to happen to him than everyone else.
If Pie-Eyed were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I don't really have one lead in my story's it is more of a team effort but I sort of pictured Ricky Gervais and Cathrine Tate as the landlord and landlady of the Bulls Head.
How have readers responded to Pie-Eyed?
- well crucially for me they found it funny what I didn't expect was they all seem to want to be part of that lock-in given the quite grim things that happen I found that a bit odd.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I am currently working on a book called Space and Stuff 3, Pie-Eyed is a side story from the Space and Stuff universe.