Interview with Edward Yatscoff
Author of Voodoo Bully
Buy this book
Quick description of the book for a new reader - what should they expect?
- A town's dirty little secrets, a school bully, and pet killer, vengeance with fake voodoo. Humor and craziness for the YA and Tween genres.
What was your inspiration for this book?
- A boy I read about whose dog was poisoned and couldn't do a thing about it even though he knew who did it.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Christina Hoag James Lee Burke. Their imaging and suspense are great
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- A small town along the North Saskatchewan river. It's small enough to know everyone yet big enough to have a high school
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Write write write. Edit edit edit. Join a writers group for feedback
Could you talk a little about your writing process?
- Every chapter is like a stage play: scene, setting, location, and then the characters walk on.
Which character has had the greatest impact on readers?
- My protagonist Evens is a small student who''s father was a detective in Haiti and knew how to deal with voodoo. To get justice for his poisoned pet Evens uses phony voodoo to manipulate people. He's courageous and funny and very clever.
If the book were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye ?
- Not sure.
How have readers responded ?
- At least one teacher and her colleagues loved it. At least one teacher loved it. "Fast paced, quick thinking and gutsy characters with raw events that are unpredictable and surprising! Sets the stage for the important theme of determination, creative thinking and the patience of going after what you want! A sharp and witty read for anyone who wants to be pushed a little out of their comfort zone!” - 4.0 out of 5 stars Lansdowne School, E. M, teacher
Where next? What are you working on now?
- A thriller of murder and abduction in the Colombian jungle
AWARD WINNING AUTHOR. Tweens & YA. Unpredictable, humorous, and surprising--a crazy romp in a small town full of secrets, crimes, and one courageous boy. A story like you've never read before.
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE - I SAW WHAT YOU DID
If your pet was poisoned, how far would you go to get payback? Diminutive high school student Evens Duluce knows the adult who poisoned Scraps, his dog, but can do little about it. When he stumbles upon the dark secret of the big high school bully and ‘prominent’ residents of his town, a bizarre, complex plan forms using fake voodoo. It’s psychological warfare, risky, and painful. He’s either a diabolical schemer or crazy--you decide.
“I really enjoyed this. It is very well written , with many delightful turns of phrase. A marvellous voice, a charming character, and an entertaining , quirky tale.” - Bookkus Publishing.
“Fast paced, quick thinking and gutsy characters with raw events that are unpredictable and surprising! Sets the stage for the important theme of determination, creative thinking and the patience of going after what you want! A sharp and witty read for anyone who wants to be pushed a little out of their comfort zone!” - 4.0 out of 5 stars Lansdowne School E. M, teacher