Interview with Sara Wilke
Author of Tempering A Dragon
SJ Wilke has spent a lifetime or two in the world of IT and Psychology. She’s traveled the physical world and explored the psyche of herself and those around her. She likes to create stories that make you lose time, fall into another place, and leave eality.
Buy this book
How would you describe Tempering A Dragon to a new reader?
- The story is a coming-of-age for a young lady, Tempura. She is a dragon master. Or so she thinks.
What was the inspiration behind Tempering A Dragon ?
- Dragons. I love dragons, but I wanted a story that showed more intelligence in the dragons. And a little humor.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I did read the McCaffrey dragon books as a child, but I don't know if they influenced my writing.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- Tempering With A Dragon is located in a totally fantastical place. Another world.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- You are a story teller. A story needs to develop. You can no rush into it. Also remember as the character goes through the story that life happens - yes, they may need to solve a mystery, but they still need to eat, use the bathroom, and pay the bills.
What's your writing process?
- I usually get a cover made first out of the idea I have. Once the cover is complete, that is my cue to write the book.I know what I want to happen. I start with the first chapter which always introduces the main character, then I write the ending. All that is left is to fill in the middle.
Which character in Tempering A Dragon has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Despite Tempura is the main character, I think the dragons steal the show.
If Tempering A Dragon were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote it?e him/her?
- Someone who can drop off a steep cliff and land on a dragon.
How have readers responded to Tempering A Dragon?
- Everyone loves the dragons. Like I said, they stole the show.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I continue to work on my Bitten and Banter series with a few other books thrown in to mix things up.
Tempura is a legend. A mighty warrior who has conquered the enemy on the battlefield while riding her mighty dragon. Except, it’s all lies. Tempura is just a teenager. She has never been on a battlefield and never killed anyone. Yet, she is a critical player in a war between man and dragon, and she must choose the side of the dragons. She must pretend to be a war hero. She believes she is a Dragon Master, but she soon learns she is a master of nothing until another Dragon Master, almost dead, arrives on her doorstep high in the mountains. With him, she comes to realize that they are not in control. The best she can do is learn from him and the dragons, to find herself and discover what she really is.