Interview with Simon carr
Author of Sheeple'
satirical science fiction writer from Blackburn in the north of England.
Buy this book
How would you describe Sheeple' to a new reader?
- It's a fun Micky take that is not meant to be taken seriously, a light-hearted pallet cleanser of a book.
What was the inspiration behind Sheeple' ?
- I like putting conspiracy theories into my books so I decided to write one that is just about conspiracy theories, I wanted to create a world where every conspiracy theory was true just to see how bizarre that world would be.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Douglas Adams, I love the comforting but slightly full of themself style of narration, I try to emulate that in my books.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- There are some odd ones, A secret base on a volcano island, a secret underwater base, a base on the moon, a space station base, and a florist shop in Devon.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- I don't really know, I have published 16 books, won two awards for writing and I am still not making any money so I guess my advice would be to do it for love, because you will never get rich doing it, all your money will vanish after you die but your books are forever.
What's your writing process?
- Concept, then I daydream each chapter in the morning while doing the school run, then write it down in the afternoon, repeat that until it's finished.
Which character in Sheeple' has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Jims Father, he is not in it that much but he gets the funniest lines.
If Sheeple' were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I kinda saw Jack Whitehall when I thought of Jim.
How have readers responded to Sheeple'?
- Very positively, some are panicking a bit because my trademark profanity is missing as it has been from quite a few of my recent books, I am still going to write those kinds of books I just want a few that are accessible to younger readers too.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I have not started it yet, the genre I have not done yet but adore is the clash of the titans and Sinbad the sailor types, so that is the next stop for me, my working title is, Olympus and other god type Places.
Just because something is a conspiracy that doesn't mean it is not true, imagine if conspiracies were true, not that weird you might think, now imagine if all of them were true, that is the world Jim has just been thrust into.
Nothing is true and everything is just plum weird, the world changes dramatically when what we believe to be reality is replaced by what the insightful champions of truth on YouTube have been trying to break out into the world is unfolded in front of us, sheeple'