Interview with Simon carr
Author of Bob and the blob
satirical science fiction writer from Blackburn in the north of England.
Buy this book
How would you describe Bob and the Blob to a new reader?
- Well,if you have not read any of my other books, it's hard to describe, I do satirical comedy science fiction, its similar to hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy,or Monty python's flying circus.
What was the inspiration behind Bob and the blob?
- It was actually reviews from my other books, people loved the way I interact with the reader, so I thought to myself, I wander if I could step that up a notch.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Douglas Adams, Steven Moffat, Russell t Davis, I steal things from all of them quite regularly.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- It's set nearly entirely in space and Andromeda,I chose Andromeda because my parker bought me a star in the Andromina system for christmas, it's set on that.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Selling books is very hard,but publishing them is very easy, just have fun writing and sending them out there, once you get the bug for writing, success becomes unessasery, your next book becomes all you care about.
What's your writing process?
- A pathetic shambles of loads of note pads, memory sticks and me grabbing a pc or laptop whenever I get any spare time.
Which character in Bob and the Blob has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Stumpy, If I tell you why I would have to kill you.
If Bob and the Blob were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I've never done this with any of my books before,but Bob is based on me, whenever I envisaged him I saw myself,I cant act so that's that snookered.
How have readers responded to Bob and the blob?
- So far very well,I only published yesterday, so it's only people who really like my stuff that have read it.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- My partner is a author, she wants to do a collaboration, she writes erotica, I write satirical comedy, so I've no clue how that's going to go, I'm thinking carry on film, shes thinking fifty shades of grey, so it will be intresting to see how that plans out.
Bob's day gets off to a bad start, when he is abducted by alien blobs, and put into a zoo, while the rest of humanity is being taken to slaughter, being turned into burgers, he has had better Thursdays.Bob's handler, Fred befriends Bob, the two of them try to change the legal status of humans, from food to intelligent life, so that the slaughter ship can be stopped, and everyone returned to earth, it is not easy as there are a lot of not very intelligent life forms on that ship.