Interview with A. Nation
Author of A Cat on Mars
I'm retired and writing as much as I can. I have 16 novels and a few novellas published. My genres are science fiction, urban fantasy, and travel mysteries
Buy this book
How would you describe <A Cat on Mars> to a new reader?
- How a cat is rescued and begins his new life on the Moon and on Mars with his human from a cat's point of view
What was the inspiration behind <A Cat on Mars> ?
- My neighbor has a tuxedo cat just like Frederick. Since he played a few important parts in my novels, I decided to give him his own book. Any sales from this book is donated to the local Humane Society.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- The one who influenced me on this book is Rita Mae Brown and her talking animals while the human story goes on.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- Frederick is a rescue cat. His human takes him first to the Moon in the 25th century and then on to Mars
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- I only self publish. The reason being I'm older and I can't wait for months or a year to be published. Never fear, I have an excellent team of beta editors and an online program.
What's your writing process?
- Im retired, so I have lots of time on my hands. I start after breakfast if there isn't anything my hubby wants to do. Then I just write or promote until noon, then take off again around 1:00pm. I don't write in the evening, that's my time to relax. But when I watch movies on tv, I call that research.
Which character in <A Cat on Mars> has had the greatest impact on readers?
- The cat, of course.
If <A Cat on Mars> were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I have no idea. If this was thirty years ago, I might have said Goldie Hawn for my human character
How have readers responded to <A Cat on Mars>?
- They like this paperback when I do street fairs. The fact that I donate to the Humane Society makes them feel their $$ are worth it.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I just finished a novella, and a travel mystery that will be entered here soon. Right now, I'm working on my second YA science fiction which will be my 16th novel.