Interview with Rae B. Lake
Author of Archer: A Wings of Diablo MC Novel
Buy this book
How would you describe Archer to a new reader?
- Archer is a ex military sniper who is sent by the rest of the brothers in his MC club to take out the president of a rival club who they suspect is trafficking woman. He lines up his shot, takes aim, pulls the trigger... And shoots both the president and an innocent bystander. His life spirals out of control from there. He basically has to deal with PTSD from his days in the military all the while trying to control an obsession that he has to make sure that the woman that he accidentally shot is ok.
To what extent is Archer based on your own experiences?
- Honestly, this is not based on any experience that I have ever had. Although I do empathize with those that suffer silently with mental illness.
Why do you like to write MC Romance Novels.
- I really like to write MC Novels because I feel like there is a dark edge to these books that most books would not get away with. I like the grit, and the passion, and most of all the no filter that most of my characters have.
You make good use of locations in the book – there’s a real sense of place. Are these locations significant for you?
- There is actually no central location in any of these books, it really is a fantasy place where I would love to live.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Honestly, I would say that the hardest part of getting your story out there is to just get out of your own head. Self doubt and being over critical can kill anyone's dream.
Which authors do you most admire?
- I love Nicholas Sparks, not because he is the most prolific writer or that his tropes are the most intense but the fact that he can get me to cry every time I read one of his books even if it is a re-read I think is beyond magical. FYI I am not a crier...at all.
Archer is a thrilling read, a real page turner. How important was it to you to write with pace and energy?
- It is extremely important to me! I feel like I should have as much fun writing a book as the reader will have reading it. My heart should be racing and my brain should be running a million miles a minute. I want my readers to feel the same way that I do and that is thrilled at every page!
If Archer were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role?
- Honestly, I think Zac Efron would be a great pick.
How have readers responded to Archer?
- Yes, in fact I have not heard any negative reviews as of yet.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I have a few pots in the flame at the moment, I am finishing up a novella series with the main theme being domestic abuse, I am working on a romcom, book 3 to the Wings of Diablo MC Novels and finally a Paranormal Romance that I have been in the middle of writing for years. Yeah I am a busy bee :-)
I am the master marksman at the Wings of Diablo MC Club. Any target my brothers need me to take down, I will. I am a magician with a fire arm no matter the class, from the small and simple Glock 36 to the powerful .44 Magnum, the big bad shotgun to the sleek and sexy M2010. I have been known to be stoic and calculated. To lay above the rest and smile as each bullet sailed through my target. Once you were in my sights, you go down for the long nap. I used to believe that my fate was sealed by the bullet and my gun, come to find out my life would be turned on its head by Daria. A woman in the wrong place at the wrong time. A woman who is seared into my soul.
My whole life I stayed to myself, never wanted to get anyone upset or be a burden to those around me. So when my roommates strong arm me into going to a party at the Rolling Cobras MC Club house I try to stay as far away from the action as possible. Not that it did me any good, my favorite shirt was ruined, I got hit on by a man missing his two front teeth, oh and I got shot in the chest. Talk about a party. There was one good thing that came from that horrible experience, the hospital set up a trauma counselor, Archer. There is something about his haunted eyes that makes me believe that I can trust again. No one makes my pulse race like he does, makes my body surrender like he does. Even with secrets all around him I have no choice but to submit to him.