Interview with James S Trost
Author of A2 Insight The Interviews
In addition to Hosting a local television interview program, I write frequently as a freelance journalist for a local magazine, circulation 60,000 concerning issues of local interest to the Ann Arbor community.
Buy this book
How would you describe A2 Insight to a new reader?
- My book provides in-depth questioning to persons making a difference in a variety of professional endeavors. Guests include national best-selling authors, state supreme court justice, entrepreneurs, educators, and leaders in the non-profit world.
What was the inspiration behind A2 Insight ?
- Viewers in the community requested that the interviews be created in book format and this is the results.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- In the context of this book, I greatly admire Brian Lamb of CSPAN and his program, as well as his book, "Booknotes" which is similar in format transposing oral interviews into readable prose.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- Ann Arbor, Michigan is best known as the home of the University of Michigan. Additionally, it is home to some of the most-innovative and progressive ideas in many areas including law enforcement, non-profit, and entrepreneurial endeavors.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- The main advantage of self-publishing has been the ability to understand the importance of connecting my work with an appropriate reading audience. Certainly the low cost of getting in the marketplace is a remarkable change from previous times and control of the publishing industry.
What's your writing process?
- In addition to completing my recent book, I also write articles for a local magazine. My main process involves getting up early when my thoughts are fresh and writing for several hours each day with revisions and more revisions to my work.
Which character in A2 Insight has had the greatest impact on readers?
- There are extraordinary individuals throughout the book. I would note that author/humanitarian Irene Butter, a Holocaust survivor, has been one of my most inspirational characters.
How have readers responded to A2 Insight?
- Incredibly positive reviews including, "a page turner" and "great variety of people to learn more about." That's just a couple of recent reviews.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I'm currently returning to my fiction novel, "Last Chances" which I've been working on for several years. I'm finding the return to fiction exciting as the process of completing A2 Insight involved much more grammatical and formatting work, and writing fiction is much more freeing.
A2 Insight The Interviews is a compilation of television discussions originally appearing on CTN channel 17 in Ann Arbor. Interviews with persons of interest in a variety of professions and interests appealing to both a local and national audience.