Interview with A. Nation
Author of Desert Shock - Secrets Never Stay Hidden
I'm retired and writing as much as I can. I have 16 novels and a few novellas published. My genres are science fiction, urban fantasy, and travel mysteries
Buy this book
How would you describe <Desert Shock> to a new reader?
- It's a science fiction crime thriller.
What was the inspiration behind <Desert Shock> ?
- I read in the newspaper about a rich woman who had died on her massage table in an up scale penthouse. But to make it scarier, I also read about a strange murder in Idaho. I put these two and added a third to move my character on.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Isaac Asimov and Agatha Christie. I have read other sci-fi authors but these two stand out the most.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- It starts out in Tucson, Arizona and leads to Washington D.C.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Read as much as you can so you understand the grammar.
What's your writing process?
- Thinking about the next scene all day, sitting down after breakfast and write it out
Which character in <Desert Shock> has had the greatest impact on readers?
- The twist in the end. "I was thrust into a world that was inescapable until the end of the book. A. Nation knows how to set a stage! I loved the twists and turns, loved the characters, and the overall story was satisfying in the end."
If <Desert Shock> were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Dwayne Johnson
How have readers responded to <Desert Shock>?
- Most can't believe I have such a dark mind, but they love it.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I just finished the second book in the Quest series, Eye of the Throne. This was an exciting one to write.