Interview with A. Nation
Author of Deflection, A Race Against Time - Saga 2, Blackhawk File 1
I'm retired and writing as much as I can. I have 15 novels and a few novellas published. My genres are science fiction, urban fantasy, and travel mysteries
Buy this book
How would you describe <Deflection> to a new reader?
- The progress of a young boy in the future who is influenced by the strange amulet he discovered in the desert. As a young man, he becomes Tucson's finest detective, taking him on a search to Mars.
What was the inspiration behind <Deflection> ?
- The fact that someone not a citizen of our country can control the president
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- Isaac Asimov, Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, J. A. Jance
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- The story begins in Tuba City, Arizona, then to Tucson, the Moon, and Mars.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- Read as much as you can to understand the flow of their stories. I'm retired. I am not interested in traditional publishing just because I don't have the time to waste. Self-publishing and several beta readers was the way I went.
What's your writing process?
- After breakfast in the morning, I'll draft write out a chapter and do the same after lunch. I do get up and take a walk, wash clothes, and plan for my next book signing.
Which character in <Deflection> has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Detective Blackhawk. When he sets his mind on searching for answers, he never gives up. He's caring and yet ruthless to those who interfere with his job.
If <Deflection> were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- The Rock - Dwayne Johnson
How have readers responded to <Deflection>?
- "As with the first book in the series, I really enjoyed the warmth and development of the characters. The mystery element added to the fun! Looking forward to the next book in the series." - review by Amazon customer
Where next? What are you working on now?
- Another young adult science fiction adventure. This will be the second sci-fi in the Quest series. Young men and aliens explore a neighboring planet and endure mishaps in their journey.