Interview with Ajah Billips
Author of A Lot Of Questions & No Answers
Buy this book
How would you describe A Lot Questions & No Answers to a new reader?
- I would describe A Lot Questions & No Answers to a new reader by first saying this book is me being vulnerable with the world, showing my deepest secrets, being abandoned by both parents, and wanting to show the first time reader my dysfunctional and breaking upbringing I endured. This book shows who I am and why I am who I am, it shows my strength and weaknesses, it shows my life’s story.
What was the inspiration behind A Lot Of Questions & No Answers ?
- My inspiration behind A Lot Of Questions & No Answers was because I’ve been carrying this hurt and pain with me for 20 years it was time to let go and be happy, this book was not to show case how wrong my family did me or treated me but so people are aware everyone has a story it’s what you do with that story that counts.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I would say I admire Ben Alirez, D.M. Blackwell, Karyn Langhorne Folan, Peggy Kern, Paul Langan, John Langan, Tanya Savory, and Anne Schraff. These people are my favorite authors because of the series they created a long time ago Bluford series, it’s raw and gritty, it reminds me of my upbringing and life. They influenced my writing style because of how free they are in their writing not holding back giving readers a chance to see what they’ve seen, my writing style is very similar when someone ready my book I want them to live my life when they read and see from prospective.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- My book is based on Buffalo New York which is where I grew up and where the story took place. Rochester is also in the book I move their despite my wishes for my mother to chase after a relationship with her former boyfriend, I also go to Phoenix Arizona later on in the book for a short period of time. Then later move to Phoenix as an adult with my high school sweetheart and fiancé.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Chase after your dreams, never hold back your feelings to make other around you happy, if sitting down and writing a book about your life to let go of pain will help go for it. Stay true to your writing, readers, and yourself.
What's your writing process?
- My writing process all comes from my head I don’t write anything down all the events I’ve written is coming from memories I have embedded in my brain. I get a cup of ginger tea, go sit in a quiet part of my house and just write no distractions just me and my mind.
Which character in A Lot Questions & No Answers has had the greatest impact on readers?
- I would say the character in A Lot Of Questions & No Answers that would impact readers the most would be me, it shows my personality, my strengths, obstacles, obsessions I’ve overcome, and how passionate and real I was with my book.
If A Lot Of Questions & No Answers were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?H
- If A Lot Questions & No Answers were adapted to tv or film I would see myself in the lead role the book is surrounded around me and the other characters are small factors that create me and my experiences.
How have readers responded to A Lot Of Questions & No Answers ?
- Well so far my book is fairly new, but I sent my mother a copy of it before I sent it off to amazon and she was high upset from the words in my book, I think it’s harder seeing your actions on paper opposed to hearing them, and my biological father he was also bothered by the fact that the world would see who he really is, but a lot people and family members besides them is happy about the books arrival.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I’m thinking about writing more books in the future maybe even poetry but as of right now my goal is to promote A Lot Questions & No Answers, work on my health, but I definitely see doing more work very soon in the near future.