Interview with A. Nation
Author of Where Did They Go? - (Book 1 in the Urban Fantasy series)
I'm retired and writing as much as I can. I have 16 novels and a few novellas published. My genres are science fiction, urban fantasy, and travel mysteries
Buy this book
How would you describe <Where Did They Go?> to a new reader?
- Susan was devastated when her husband died in a car accident. Friends and family cannot fill the void left in her heart from his passing. Follow Susan as she unravels this tale of mystery and murder.
What was the inspiration behind <Where Did They Go?> ?
- I'm not sure how I came to this idea. We did have a friend pass leaving his wife. But I had just entered nanowrimo for the first time and this story about a woman trying to come to terms of living without her husband and what to do when she found out he was murdered.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I usually read mysteries like Mary Higgins or Rex Scout and Agatha Christie
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- The story first takes place in Susan's home and her memories after her husband's accident. She thinks she is misplacing items around the house, when she finds herself lying on a forest floor. Here, in a strange world, her new friends listen to her story and convince her what she has to do next.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- Read as much as you can. Watch videos on how people act. From there you can visualize your stories
What's your writing process?
- Since I'm retired, I write all day from 8:00-5:00. I break for walks around my neighborhood or errands but most of the day I'm at the computer.
Which character in <Where Did They Go?> has had the greatest impact on readers?
- They like the story for the odd things that happen to my MC. She's like all of us who fumble around trying to find answers about her life. Susan has a gift but doesn't know it. She may seem weak in the beginning but as you watch her take charge, she can be formable.
If <Where Did They Go?> were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- A stout woman with Blond hair. I didn't have anyone in particular in mind for my MC but I did for her neighbor, which is my neighbor.
How have readers responded to <Where Did They Go?>?
- I've sold quite a few of this book in digital and in print. A consumer on Amazon said, "The story is well written with enough emotion but not syrupy. There are twists and turns and a satisfying ending."
Where next? What are you working on now?
- I just finished a novella, and a travel mystery that will be entered here soon. Right now, I'm working on my second YA science fiction which will be my 16th novel. Update, that book is finished and available. Now, I'm working on my next SF and a travel mystery.
In this first novel in my UF series, Susan was devastated when her husband died in a car accident. Friends and family cannot fill the void left in her heart from his passing. Follow Susan as she unravels this tale of mystery and murder. After discovering small items disappearing around her home, She finds herself laying on the ground in a another world. Each person she encounters helps her with lost memories. Will she be able to return home or remain trapped in this strange world?