Interview with Bryony Best
Author of The Girl from Pompey - Discovering the Key to Happiness and Fulfilment
Bryony Best – Author to - The Girl from Pompey novels.
My name is Bryony Best, and I am an author who was born and raised in Portsmouth.
I have experienced a very interesting life. I reside on Hayling Island with my fiancé and our much loved Chihuahua dog.
After battling both drug addiction and alcoholism for many years I have escaped near death to recover and lead a healthy, sober lifestyle.
It was through my recovery, which started at a rehab facility in Portsmouth, that inspiration struck and a new addiction started to unfold. I became obsessed with discovering the key to happiness and fulfilment.
The Girl from Pompey is a shared collection of both research and answers that I discovered for myself, in a quest for my own personal fulfilment. Data was gathered from varied backgrounds of adults, friends, family, colleagues and strangers.
The Girl from Pompey - Conversations with the Dead! - this book is a prequel, and dives deeper into the trauma that led to my addictions, shining a light on mental illness and recovery.
I work as a Holistic Therapist and I love reading, places of interests and meditation.
Buy this book
How would you describe The Girl from Pompey to a new reader?
- A raw and brutally honest book, that is addictive and thought provoking. The book leaves the reader inspired and motivated.
What was the inspiration behind The Girl from Pompey ?
- To help others that may have experienced or be still experience the stages of addiction. To shine a light on mental health and recovery.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I admire any writer who has the courage to share their work with the world. I must admit that after reading a beautiful book by Billie Jade Kermack, I realised my writing could be more descriptive and elegant.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- Portsmouth which is known as Pompey is a city in Hampshire by the coast. Portsmouth is rich and full of amazing characters. Pompey is a wonderful but densely populated city in the U.K.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- Write about a subject you are passionate about and the ink well never dries. Add a page to your book requesting reviews and social media uploads.
What's your writing process?
- I figure out what messages I want to give to the reader, I plan all the chapters like adding bus stops to a route. For the chapters themselves I just write from the heart.
Which character in The Girl from Pompey has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Bryony - she is honest about her dark side or lesser desired traits. She lays all her secrets bare and shows everyone her true face.
If The Girl from Pompey were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- It would be amazing if this book were to be adapted for TV/Film/Series. I have no idea, they would need one hell of an actress to pull off all the sides of Bryony’s personality.
How have readers responded to The Girl from Pompey?
- The response has been overwhelming, with readers claiming that the book has changed their life. One lady said she quit her 9-5 and started her own business. Another reader said after reading the book she quit drinking alcohol!
Where next? What are you working on now?
- My prequel is due to be released anytime soon. The Girl from Pompey- Conversations with the Dead!
Once this book is released I will start on my next book - The Girl from Pompey - Friends, Deception and Secrets.
Bryony Best was born and raised in Portsmouth. As an ex-drug addict and alcoholic, she has overcome many life challenges, including near death.
Bryony is a girl on a mission; she has a burning question inside of her – What is happiness and fulfilment? Who has it, and how can she get it?
Follow Bryony on her journey as she searches for answers, seeking them from the people who cross her path. As her quest unfolds, will she find the answers?
Bryony was once in a very dark place. She has overcome an alcoholic father, addiction, attempts by others to take her life, and along the way she is desperately trying to find her way back to herself.
Family fences need mending, and so does her life.
But the real question is - Are you happy and fulfilled?