Interview with N. F. Garrow Jr
Author of Rebirth Book 1 of the E.L.F. Saga
I am two years older than dirt. American born and raised, lived on both coasts and various places in the middle of America. My dream has always been to have superpowers, which never materialized so I fell back on my love for writing.
The first manuscript was written in pencil when I was about 17, maybe earlier. Many, many years later I used a typewriter to write the second manuscript which I hope to have published next year (30 years after it was first written)
Finally, I wrote the first three books in the E.L.F. Saga and published them this year.
Almost forgot the important part. My wife and I (been together for 50 years) travel the country (the rumor that she is part gypsy ... isn't true). allowing me to write in some nice places.
I hope you enjoy the stories I create and remember all my books are also on Amazon Kindle.
Buy this book
How would you describe Rebirth to a new reader?
- Rebirth is the first book in the E.L.F. Saga. Book 2 is called Reunion, Book 3 is Resolute, and Book 4 should be out by the end of 2019.
The saga is a space opera, it's not a book about pointy eared folks. E.L.F. stands for extra-terrestrial life forms and follows many stories between human as well as alien.
To what extent is Rebirth based on your own experiences?
- It would be nice to say that I have traveled beyond the bands of this world, but of course, I haven't. However, parts of me are embedded in some of the characters. I imagine most authors who agree with me.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- Now I am working on the 4th book in the series, once it's done I am taking a break from the E.L.F. Saga to finish a stand-alone book which is near and dear to my heart. My fans will not be disappointed ... at least that is the hope.
You make good use of locations in the book – there’s a real sense of place. Are these locations significant for you?
- The locations on Earth are places where I have been and experienced. However, some liberties have been taken to describe them.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors? How would you advise a new author about traditional publishing versus self publishing?
- That is a very difficult question to fully address here. Both avenues have pro's and con's (doesn't everything) however I have gone the self-publishing ( not Vanity, where you pay for everything in advance) route because I love to have complete control of my work.
Which authors do you most admire? Which qualities, in particular, have influenced your writing?
- I love reading period. The qualities I look for in an author is their storytelling ability. My list of authors whom I like seems to be endless however there is the one I can always count on to deliver and that is Anne McCaffrey.
What unusual fact can you share with us in the writing of Rebirth.
- I played 4461 hands of solitaire. Yeah I know sounds insane but it would clear my mind so I could refocus on the writing.
If Rebirth were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- Naturally, I would be the ideal person to be cast in the lead. That being said, are you crazy? If they turned Rebirth and the other books in the series into movies I would be too busy sitting on a beach, toes in the water with the biggest smile on my face to accept the role.
I didn't write the stories with anyone in mind. It's hard enough to write without adding that layer to the process.
How have readers responded to Rebirth
- One reader wanted to know why there were no pictures in the book. I assume they meant there were no maps like you find in books today. Sorry.
Others have given very positive feedback and I am quite grateful for them. What I don't have at this time are any reader reviews on Amazon. Is that good or bad, I don't know. It's Amazon what can I say?
Can you sum up your writing experience?
- Yes! I am living the good life, one word at a time.
I would encourage everyone who has a desire to write ... do it. You will be amazed at what you are capable of.
What happens when one brilliant man's belief in his destiny is acted upon? Aldrich Huysman sets in motion an experiment that will send ripples throughout the Dynasty of Man and beyond. Once unleashed, can he control it?
The Governments of Earth discover an Asteroid heading towards the planet. Destruction seems certain, but that is what they are meant to see, unaware that a greater danger lurks just out of sight.
A sixty-five-year-old truck driver stops for a couple whose car has broken down on the side of the road in the desolate Nevada Desert. Little does he realize that his good deed will change him, and everyone he comes in contact with forever.
Tom Paul is an ambitious man with power, who exists and thrives in the shadows of government. A man of control, he detests the likes of Doctor Albert Lans and his crackpot followers in E.L.F., no matter how often they are proven correct.
Jon Vega is a solider caught up in the power struggles of men, both in and out of government. Bitter and angry, he is faced with fighting his own personal demons and trying to do what is right. He is sent on a mission to retrieve a man on the alien planet; Earth.
Rebirth is the first book of the E.L.F. series that immerses you in the struggle between power, desire, and hate that reaches well beyond this world.