Interview with Yvonne Rediger
Author of Death and Cupcakes
Author of Musgrave Landing Mysteries, Adam Norcross Mysteries, VIC Shapeshifter mysteries, and stand alone fiction.
Buy this book
How would you describe Death and Cupcakes to a new reader?
- Death and Cupcakes is a cozy mystery set in Musgrave Landing, a village on Salt Spring Island.
Jane is setting upon a new career and getting a second chance at romance. Unfortunately a murder gets in the way.
What was the inspiration behind Death and Cupcakes ?
- When I lived in a village on Vancouver Island there was a cafe right by the ferry dock. This location gave me the idea for Jane's Eats and Treats.
Which authors do you admire? How have they influenced your writing style?
- I read widely so many authors have influenced me. Linwood Barkley, Ann Cleeves, Tanya Huff, Terry Pratchett, there are so many.
Can you tell us a little about the locations in your book?
- Musgrave Landing series, Salt Spring Island, VIC Shapeshifter series, Vancouver Island, both in the Pacific Northwest.
Adam Norcross series Vancouver Island, but also Saskatchewan, and Ontario. Other stand alone novels, various Canadian cities, and the Caribbean.
What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- To be good at writing is like everything else, it requires practice and patience.
What's your writing process?
- I write in the mornings. Usually 1-2k words. I have an office which looks out onto our front yard with huge trees. It’s quiet and no one bugs me when the door is closed. I don’t play music, all devices are off.
Which character in Death and Cupcakes has had the greatest impact on readers?
- Arlie Birch without question, he is in each of the Musgrave Landing Mysteries. He is an older gentleman who calls them as he sees them. He's funny, has a great big heart, but is a curmudgeon.
If Death and Cupcakes were to be adapted for TV or film, who would you see in the lead role? Who did you have in your mind’s eye when you wrote him/her?
- I’d like an Michelle Dockery for Jane Westcott, she would be perfect.
How have readers responded to Death and Cupcakes?
- I have had lots of great feedback, they are asking for more.
Where next? What are you working on now?
- Currently I’m writing The Right Road, follow up to The Wrong Words, Adam Norcross mysteries. Then, book 4 of Musgrave Landing Mysteries, as yet untitled.
Jane Westcott has come home to the village of Musgrave Landing and nothing will be the same again. She has inherited her aunt's cafe and a good thing too. Her personal finances are in a shambles. Jane must make a go of the business and leave her past in Vancouver behind. She plans to run the small cafe by the ferry wharf and bake to her heart's content until her sister receives a letter from their dead aunt, which alludes to finding a key. But where is Jane's letter? On top of this, the mayor has gone missing and an old flame, Jack Birch, comes back into her life.The trouble is, the mayor gets himself murdered, and Jack finds the body with the help of Vimy, a former K-9 from the RCMP. Jack also finds a letter on the body addressed to Jane, and he is worried she was somehow involved with the village's philandering mayor, Tim Stanhope. As the investigation unfolds, it turns out that money has gone missing from the village accounts and an old friend of Jane's, Dirk Ipkiss, might be involved. Then there's the fact that Jack found the murder weapon, and it belongs to Jane.